« Home | Now allow me to point out the obvious: are these g... » | You have quite a mommy do you know that?  Last nig... » | Hi Audrey - It's mommy. We just got back from a n... » | Arianna Huffington: Obama Calls for An Extreme Mak... » | Things I learn from basketball:Sometimes the glori... » | I can't help but think, and hope, that we are head... » | Long time coming:'President Obama’s top antitrust ... » | here's the deal all ye of religion:i aint hatin. o... » | As usual, great article today. Only one minor qui... » | Oh Kobe.  Will you never learn?  'My team' eh?  I ... » 

Thursday, May 28, 2009 

Some time ago (before you were born) on January 21, 2009 I wrote a little something with you in my heart:

I have some time today so I wanted to quickly write you and if I could I would love to read this to our little daughter, but I don’t want to bore her (or you!) Here is a great video (a little more personal view) of the speech. As you know I told you that he didn’t necessarily have his A game yesterday, but who has their A game everyday? Especially for someone whose life has now been flipped upside down. No more little 15 minute walks during lunch like he is used to. No more quick trips to the park to play basketball. So many sacrifices by him to… hopefully… help us.

Call me cynical and jaded if you will but I will say that given what happened in 2006 when we overwhelmingly voted in Democrats to end a war, it hurt me and cut at things in me directly. I sincerely hope it is not the same case this time for me and for our daughter and for us. And frankly, to end the cynicism in this note, some of the holes dug by the out of date and lost previous administration may be difficult if not impossible to dig out of in the short term. Alas.

We take a fresh breath of air today and slowly start to blow out the old cynicism and hurt feelings. We move on as we always have with the country and society we dream of in our hearts. But like the new President always talks about though folks rarely mention it as one of his major themes: we do not walk alone. We have so many with us. Alex is here. Suzanne is here. Adrienne is here. I can feel them. I want not to let them down and eventually I want our daughter and our grandchildren to say: we need to carry on for our ancestors and for those that did the hard thing and turned things around for us especially when things looked so bleak.

“…every so often the oath is taken amidst gathering clouds and raging storms. At these moments, America has carried on not simply because of the skill or vision of those in high office, but because We the People have remained faithful to the ideals of our forbearers, and true to our founding documents.”

Labels:

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates