« Home | Adam I was listening to your podcast (which I love... » | I am posting this now so years hence I can look ba... » | Somewhere in a Russian forest, high up on a mounta... » | Interesting things that 'keep physicists awake'htt... » | I had to do it. I had to let him know:Bill, I am ... » | We ask today: is Hillary Clinton marginalized? Si... » | To our libertarian friends: Markets are not everyt... » | http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/05/opinion/05krugma... » | What a fucking moronic article. I hesitate to eve... » | 'The growth of emerging economies is “symbolic of ... » 

Tuesday, December 01, 2009 

I walk around with a heavy heart today. President Obama, our last best hope, plans to escalate a war today.

I was sad, shocked and scared in the early 2000s when Bush started ginning up a war with Iraq... in his somewhat subtle threats I just knew what was coming.

Then in 2006 we got a chance to install a Democratic congress to help end the war. Nothing happened and my disillusionment increased. But ever the romantic in a small corner of my heart 2008 seemed to present another possibility. A bending arc of our time to paraphrase the big man.

And now here we stand with Gitmo still open, insurance companies and pharma companies chortling, human rights abuses continuing and an Afghan war escalating.

I choose not to tune in tonight Mr. President as I honestly could not be much more disappointed and disaffected. It continues to run in my head despite my wishes to die on American soil and preferably in California: we may need to leave it because the US is becoming very, very hard to love.

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates