« Home | 'Though the state of the state is “perilous,” he s... » | An Open LetterFrom: Big BusinessTo: AmericaIts bee... » | 'When Mr. Bush officially takes his leave in three... » | “It turns out,” he said, “this isn’t one of the pr... » | Where'd the bailout money go? Shhhh, it's a secret... » | Mass. investor saw inside Madoff scam - Yahoo! News » | Mr. Brooks, you disappoint me.  Your article start... » | BushCo,I am in a bit of a fiery mood after my skin... » | Let me be the 30000th person to congratulate you S... » | How lost is this guy?'Reflecting on his time in th... » 

Thursday, January 08, 2009 

Before I fade off to bed, a little gloating. And understanding.

I understand why you and you need, so badly, to have so many reports and so much data. Personally and professionally it has been good for me so thank you, but I do understand. I understand why you needed VaR. I do get it but I also feel sorry for you.

There is so much you won't see in those numbers and reports. There is so much that value at risk won't tell you.

Like some of the stories I told my dad in '99 and early '00 about how it was only the beginning of the market 'adjustment'. That, to paraphrase myself, it would affect every internet company including my current employer Cisco.

I know it sounds like a story. I know all of this is gloating after the fact and it is hard to believe. That I am not that intuitive and that maybe no one can be.

I know you may not believe later, in '06 and '07 my wife and I had an argument about moving. Actually, not just one. We maybe were not talking the same language, but we are now. I am excited to say that as a unit we moved forward. Yes: she wanted to move. Yes: she wanted another house. And yes: she supported me and we supported each other when I offered it was a bad time and that: 'Look with your own eyes. These houses and these properties are not worth what we are hearing and what we are told.'

We made a good decision.

So here, really, is not so much to gloat and say I am intuitive and you are not. Here is to say: may we all be more intuitive and in touch with what our reality is telling us and more true to what we are feeling about this world that we are, after all, simply a dusty part of. May we all be smarter and enjoying some of the things this unit is because we are closer to each other and our shared reality.

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates