« Home | Cold Turkey -- In These Times: "Dr. Vonnegut said ... » | Democracy in the Balance, Sojourners Magazine/Augu... » | Thoreau's Walden » | bostonsportsguy.com: "I can dig it. " Hits anothe... » | Perception Gap in Iraq (washingtonpost.com): "To t... » | It's Not Fun, So Why Do We Do It? (Farewell to the... » | I went to the woods because I wished to live delib... » | "... I'm just here, brother, trying to exist in a ... » | Hello, God? It's Me, Dubya / Lord? Bush here. I'm ... » | MSNBC - Sen. Edwards: �I had to stand up and say n... » 

Friday, July 16, 2004 

Lucky Ducky Purgative (Ftrain.com): "I know he understands why I go to protests, and I know why he joined the Navy. And I doubt we'll ever argue over our differences, because somehow they're not that great, they just make sense, and our similarities are more important: that people should be respected, that you shouldn't take things too seriously, that we loved our grandfather, that scotch and cigars are great from time to time, that a vacation should involve a log cabin and no running water. Being a good man is what we both struggle to do. The emphasis there is on struggle; I am not yet a good man, by my own definition; I am still selfish, still afraid where I should be brave, I should have faith. I do not treat all people as true equals, and I look for power instead of ways to give more away far more than I do the right thing.
I know my brother is working on it, too. You get there, little by little. Whether by prayer or hope or just closing your eyes and being someone better in your fantasies. You don't do it to save the world but because it's just part of being human, trying to make this into a world where everyone with a story can tell it, and someone else will listen. "

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates