« Home | a culture gets creative -- an interview with Paul ... » | How a Fire Broke Out - Newsweek World News - MSNBC... » | Chappelle says he's stressed out, not crazy - TV C... » | The New Yorker: Online Only: Content: "Without the... » | The New Yorker: Fact: "The discovery that large an... » | Iraq Dispatches: Independent journalist Dahr Jamai... » | Ugh. I feel ya.While on the topic of sharing frust... » | Body Counts - Newsweek The War on Iraq - MSNBC.com... » | MSNBC - Today's News from MSNBC Front Page: "Your ... » | USATODAY.com - Ridge reveals clashes on alerts: "R... » 

Sunday, May 15, 2005 

Thank goodness for wireless (just got it installed today so I don't have to be using the neighbors') - I get to write down all my crazy thoughts whenever.

So here is tonights, Gomez. The million dollars is not the answer to happiness. It is a stupid fucking platitude I know this. 'You have never been poor'' one might say. 'You have never lived with five other adults in a two bedroom apartment' Alfonso might tell me. It is all too true.

Let me tell you what I have learned in my experience though. Contrary to what the free market and some societies ;) might tell you - the middle class is where it is at. Too much or too little takes away from the happiness quotient. This is what I have seen with my own eyes.

There were times in my past where I really worried about money. Woke up worrying about it. Never had it bad off by any means, but college does teach you a few things about money in its weird way.

There were times when I woke up wondering how I could be so miserable and my family could be so miserable with all that we have been blessed with. All that money in the bank, all that status at stores and in our capitalist centers. Rodeo can be the coldest or warmest place on earth depending what your wallet says.

Where is the right amount? Where does too little become too much and too much, too little? It is a hard question.

I think it is right around one million dollars, my good man Alfonso. Go get em.

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates