« Home | MOS DEF - UMI SAYS LYRICS: "Sometimes I don't wann... » | MSNBC - Stocks struggle amid dollar rally, merger:... » | Oil is fossilized trees. An uncontained forest fi... » | RealClimate � Michael Crichton�s State of Confusio... » | The Death of Horatio Alger: "Never mind, say the a... » | 10-15% of Metafilter users are so-called "legacy c... » | The New York Times > Opinion > Editorial: The Soci... » | DMX LYRICS - A 'Yo Kato: "Started of two dawgs wit... » | CNN.com - Expert: I tried to warn of tsunami - Jan... » | MSNBC - Settlers warn of army mutiny over Gaza pul... » 

Tuesday, January 04, 2005 

MSNBC - Voters stand firm on Ohio election challenge: "COLUMBUS, Ohio - One voter didn�t see any signs of fraud on Election Day but was suspicious of the results. Another was surprised by long lines in her suburban city, where voting was always quick in the past."

Gindy, God bless you, my one reader. Even my girlfriend won't read the shit I spew out. I appreciate you asking what my position is.

First off, I find it very sad that 1 in 5 Americans find the election results fishy or don't believe in them. Not good for a democracy.

I think the essential solution to this, and it seems so very simple to me, is opening the source code of these vote tallying machines up to public scrutiny. If one does not I feel there are always going to be these issues and they are going to increase. I see no valid reasons for not opening this code to the public, do you? I ask because I am honestly interested- I haven't seen a good reason.

I think about it in this way: Microsoft keeps their source code very secret (though they have opened up a bit recently) and look how many times and by how many people that has been hacked. Our voting systems are in the same predicament -- it has been proven by states such as ours and other independent analysis that these systems are, in fact, terribly suspect.

There are only two companies involved in counting the votes and they are very secretive and don't provide paper trails (as they do on their ATMs)- this is a very important, bipartisan discussion that our nation should have had before and I hope that we have it now. Scott Peterson is done with now so lets move on to some important (though sometimes boring) discussion.

Post a Comment

Archives

Links

Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates